All recipes are for 2 servings unless noted. Oil is canola oil and salt is kosher salt.

2011-06-14

Dinner, June 13, 2011

There is an infestation of komatsuna in the greenhouse, and baby komatsuna is gaining vigor everyday. Gee, I can make ohitashi, gomaae, shiraae, nibitashi, miso soup, Okinawan saute, saute with miso, .... but Tom would know it is the same damn leafy vegetable, day after day. I clearly remember him saying "a leafy vegetable again," pointing at a young Japanese green floating in miso soup on a sunny, beautiful morning some years ago. If I say this is Chinese, his focus would be on cuisine category, not vegetables.

  • Steamed rice
  • Mabodofu / mapo spicy tofu with bay shrimp
  • Sour and spicy soup with green bean vermicelli, scallops and shiitake mushroom
  • Hotate to komatsuna no karamiae / scallops and komatsuna in spicy sauce 

And, I wanted to eat mabodofu, a comfort food for me. And it's Chinese. Voila! 

We have been eating some Chinese with Japanese dishes but we haven't had Chinese for some time.

Although I failed to meet the one-dish-with-oil-per-meal deal, doing otherwise once in a while is always forgiven.


<Note>
Not that I care so much about what Tom thinks about my cooking, I cannot deny that I listen more carefully to opinions expressed by the first responder in this household.

    No comments: