All recipes are for 2 servings unless noted. Oil is canola oil and salt is kosher salt.

2013-05-02

Tom cooks 12. Nan (naan flatbread)


“What is that?”
I couldn’t help myself; the words just exploded from my mouth.

I had made too much naan dough the night before. Naan tastes best when just out of oven, so we decided to make the remaining portion when we finished up the leftover toor dal dish and palak paneer.
I fully trusted Tom, who has more experience baking bread, to flatten each ball and bake them.

Well, it did taste like naan.
But the oddly thick and crusty and square flatbread was not what I expected to see come out of the oven.
Very... different.

Refrigerating the dough overnight might have had some impact. But I know how Tom deals with a situation where things aren’t turning out as expected, such as bread dough not flattening easily -- he simply ignores it.

Cooking by Tom is full of surprises. While it might not always be an eye-opening experience, it certainly provides opportunities to see results that otherwise I would never encounter.

Recipe for Tom: Nan (naan flatbread)

No comments: